Tuesday 15 September 2009

CBC Pretoria Bus Passes 1974-1975

I was schooled at the Loreto Convent, Pretoria (age 6-8) and Mount Edmund, Christian Brothers' College (CBC), Pretoria (age 9-17). In Standard 6 and Standard 7 my folks gave up on the school commute, and I had to ride the old college school bus from Lynnwood Manor to Silverton. It was an antiquated green and white Bedford, and not my favourite mode of transport! As we were probably the final stop on the route, all seats were usually taken, by the time I boarded, and I generally stood up front, next to the driver - a middle-age, balding and mostly sweaty Afrikaner. I was there on that fateful day when the bus got a front wheel puncture going down the hill close to the CSIR entrance. We went off the road and into the bush, and miraculously the bus didn't roll. I have the full story written up in an essay somewhere, but need to dig up that old textbook in my archive! Anyway, here are the bus passes from 1974 and 1975.

CBC Pretoria Bus Passes 1974-1975 - Front

Here are the backs of the bus passes from 1974 and 1975. They are signed by the school Secretary, Mrs. Tudhope. She, her son John and daugter Avril stayed at the Cambray flats, close to my parent's place in Lynnwood Manor. I had a secret, long distance crush on Avril back in those days. I think she went to school in Lyttleton and wonder what ever happened to her?

CBC Pretoria Bus Passes 1974-1975 - Back

In 1976 I blew my savings on a 50cc motorcycle, and my world changed forever! The wall in the background to the left of the attached photo is more or less where we used to catch the college bus in the morning.

Suzuki TS50 A - Pretoria 1976

Cheers, MAlfaRK ©

No comments: