Friday 18 September 2009

1975 CBC Pretoria Std. 7 Timetable

This it my Standard 7 (9th Grade) school timetable from 1975. I was at Mount Edmund, Christian Brothers' College (CBC), Pretoria, South Africa where zealots of the cult of Jesus worked hard at trying to wash my brain! If I remember correctly, school started at 08h00 and wrapped up at 14h00. Classes were 40 minutes long and the breaks were 20 minutes each.

1975 CBC Std. 7 Timetable - Cover

The fifth period every day was CD - Christian Doctrine (read Christian Indoctrination). There I was exposed to the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepaphically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Yes - it all made perfect sense to me ;-)

From the age of 13 through 18 (1973 - 1978) I worked Saturdays at Jix Hobbies - South Africa's oldest hobby shop. When I started I made two Rand a morning - that's a whopping £0.16 / US$0.27 / €0.18 at today's rates! That job screwed up my teenage social life, but as my folks were not flush with cash, it was something I had to do. Back in those days the shop was on Van Der Walt Street, one shop up from the corner of Pretorius Street. I was a counter hand, shelf packer and duster. And, believe me, it was an endless battle against 50 years of accumulated filth! Looking back now, I do wish I'd bought up all the old 40's, 50's and 60's Dinky Toys and Corgi toy cars that no one wanted in the 1970's! They would have been excellent investments.

1975 CBC Std. 7 Timetable - Inside

Flying. After work at Jix I would regulary trek out to Pretoria Radio Flyers airfield at Zwavelpoort, east of the city, where I would revel in the customers writing off their expensive toys :-) Due to urban creep, the club was forced to relocate in 2001 and is now in Rietvallei.

Cheers, MAlfaRK ©

No comments: