Monday 11 January 2016

News Guy Wept & Told Us...


06h30 this morning. I was awake. Strange, as I'd only got to bed four hours earlier.

But it was then that the musical soundtrack of the first 55 years of my life came to an end. David Bowie died in New York after an 18 month fight with cancer. A redwood falls. I bought my first Bowie album in 1973 and my last one three days ago. A lifetime, but I never thought of Bowie as being old. He remained current up to the moment of his death.

Although his lasting legacy is to embrace innovation and be yourself, I must admit to copying his hairstyle back in 1972, just to piss off my parents. I still wear a version of that cut today. For four decades I've had a strange little ritual, that involves Bowie. Whenever I buy any new music technology - cassette player, turntable, Walkman, CD player, MP3 player - the fist track that I play is by Bowie. I will continue this personal homage for the rest of my life.

Thank you David Bowie for helping me though all the toughest times of my life, for celebrating all the good times and for always being there for the times in between. You'll never know it, but one dark night you actually saved my life. The world is going to be a more mundane place without you and has lost its creative rudder.

Everything is disjointed. Equilibrium is gone.

Goodbye David, and our youth.

Blackstar

In mourning, MAlfaRK ©

No comments: